Today is my birthday 🙂 MY 54th 😦
I have not bought any skin care products for 4 months, (and had run out then) and while I know the old saying “Beauty comes from within” this 54 year old girl is needing more than whatever magic lies within! So, for my birthday I purchased a bottle each of rosewater and glycerine, both for less than $10.00. I searched the net to find recipes using what else I had at home and found this hand cream on frugalgranola.com. I used this recipe and added 1 tablespoon of dried rosehips. I poured enough to fill the two jars I had and left the rest in the blender.
Healing Rose Hand Cream
1 1/2 cups coconut oil
1 cup rose water or distilled water
3 TBS grated beeswax
1/4 cup cup dried calendula blossoms
1/4 cup dried rose petals
1. Place the coconut oil in a small heavy sauce pot. Gently melt on low heat, add the rose petals and calendula blossoms. Cook on low heat for a half and hour.
2. Strain the oil blend to remove the flowers.
3. Wipe out your sauce pot to remove any of the flowers. Put the oil back in the pot along with the bee’s wax. Heat on low until the wax has melted.
4. Pour the oil into a blender and allow to cool to room temperature.
5. Blend the oil on high until it forms a vortex. Slowly pour the water into the blender. Continue to blend on high until emulsified.
6. Pour into a glass jars to store, it makes about 2 1/2 cups. You will notice that the lotion will thicken after a few hours. It should stay shelf stable for at least six months. If it is above 80 inside or if you want to save it for longer than six month store in the refrigerator.
Rosewater & Coconut Milk Face Moisturiser:
With the remaining, (about a third) and please note I have edited this from my original posting as the first set too thick…. I added about 4 tablespoons of glycerine, 4 tablespoons of coconut milk, another 1/4 cup of rosewater, 50 mls of almond oil and blended on high speed until well emulsified and starting to thicken.
My packaging isn’t very flash, but doesn’t really need to be. But, it’s really very nice, just what I was wanting and has retained the rose scent. I have no idea of the storage life of this but other recipes use similar and don’t mention problems with it keeping.